Digital Technology Essay

Digital Media Technology is the creation and use of products such as cameras, laptops, software that can be downloaded etc. Digital Technology allows us to reach an audience. Digital technology and creativity have a positive and negative relationship. It is positive in way that digital technology helps and allows you maximise your creative ideas and skills to more higher advance levels which would be very hard if digital technology did not exist. The only negative relationship between creativity and digital technology is that with many editing software packages, they are pre-packed, giving every the same skills but although this limits creativity, you could still manipulate this in a way which helps enhance the limit of creativity. My production work has developed and increased over the last two years, mainly due to the fact that i have been able to experiment with different editing software, such as final cut pro and explore all the tools, such as using the blade tool to slice clips and re-arrange the order they appear.

In my AS preliminary task, the use of digital technology helped me with the production of my college magazine , for example my main dominant image was taken with a Canon 700D DSLR Camera, to make multiple mid or close up shots of my model, using the manual setting, where i was able to change and set the ISO levels to best fit lighting situations so i could get a clear image for my college magazine. The impact of experimentation of the DSLR camera is that after experiments both inside and outside, i was able to be creative and not only be able to manipulate the camera so i get a photo of high quality, i was able to use the ISO setting to create small effects in photos, such as having a main object in the front and having the background looking blurry.

For my AS college magazine, my use of digital technology improved widely, especially within post -production.  For editing my music magazine, i mainly used Adobe InDesign and used Photoshop for editing all my images that featured inside the magazine. Adobe Photoshop helped enhance my creativity as i began using the magic wand tool to select part s of the background image and using the tool, i was about to cut out bits and pieces of the background which i did not want. |I also started using layers inside Photoshop, i used this to place my cropped main images onto a background which better suited my magazine and then used the merge tool to lock the two different layer to make it become one layer, also known as a normal image, which i then placed onto my InDesign of my music magazine. Learning these skills from experimenting and playing around to figure how I could use different tools helped improved my creativity as it helped me make my music magazine have hyper -reality, which would not have occurred if i had not experiment with all tools and editing functions available to make, to help my music magazine look like a real music magazine.

For my A2 Horror Trailer, the use of digital technology improved more, especially within my Photoshop skills, where i learned how to make movie title slates within Photoshop and be able to edit the title slates so that i was able to add transitions, such as fade and cross-fade to make the title slates fade into the screen at different times and then fade out into the background. Another skill which i gained during A2 post production was being able to edit shot on Final Cut Pro and being able to use different layers to let video content overlap one another, i also learnt how to change the colour contrast of a clip and be able to darken the clip or make it brighter. 

Comments