Real Media Text Essay

Conventions are codes that are put in placed to create a purpose, they can be followed or broken or be used as a guideline and re-created to make your product unique from the next product.In AS, my known knowledge of semiotics and the purpose and they should be used was very limited, within A2, my knowledge started to widely expand due to the amount of research i was doing, i learnt how to recognise semiotics and how to use them properly to gain the audience in the right way.

In AS, my brief was to create a music magazine, that had a front cover, contents pages and double page spread. To complete this task successfully, i had to be able to identify typical key conventions inside magazines. My music magazine was from the Rap Genre, and to make sure that my music magazine looked like a actual music magazine, there was a set of rules and codes for the whole magazine that i had to follow. I looked at Rap magazines The Source and XXL to gain inspiration for how my music magazine should be and typical conventions, such as having a color scheme of black, red,white or black, green and white. I decided to go with a black and white color scheme as it was a typical conventions of rap music magazines. Another typical convention of rap magazine was having a rapper on the front cover, usually wearing some type of gold jewelry which can be seen within the image.This is a convention that i decided not to follow when taking my images, mainly due to the fact that i wanted my music magazine to look a bit different.

In my Year 13 promotion exercise, I made a horror trailer and to do this,i had to be able to identify a significant amount of conventions within trailers such as the structure of the trailer and mise en scene. My horror trailer is a Monster, which meant to that i followed the key conventions that feature inside  monster horror trailers. To gain knowledge of the conventions that are inside monster trailer, i had to watch a numerous amount of horror trailer first, from all different sub genres, trailers like The Conjuring which is a Supernatural, Saw which is Splatter. I first watched different sub genre horror trailers to gain a wider understanding of Conventions that featured in all horror trailers, convention such as Dim / Dark lightning, which helps build up the sense of animosity within the audience, also having a disequilibrium structure and montages as it creates mystery in the audience and the sense of uncertainty as very thing is not in order and you can not tell what is going to happen next. After learning the basic conventions of horror trailers, i then started watching monster horror trailers, such as Teeth, Alien, i started to learn about what the typical conventions of monster horror trailer were, conventions such as using close up shots of the monsters body feature such as claws, feet or any disfigurement on the monsters body but not showing its face. This convention  is key as it creates emotional pleasure within the audience, creating suspense.

My learning and understanding of rel media text has helped and improved my creativity as i have learnt about the typical conventions that was needed of my for my products as i did not bother to looked at this in AS or pay much attention to his, whereas in A2, i have used RMT to helped my horror trailer look more effective and real. Real media text has allowed to me to explore more efficiently and then later reinvent those ideas and use them in my work. the only limitation at RMT is that i was subjective to doing only one genre, meaning that my creativity was limited, as i could only use the RMT for that genre so many times and try and reinvent them, trying to use them in a different but effective way. Overall RMT helps and allows my creativity to expand but only to a restricted limit.

Comments

Post a Comment