Genre Essay Improvements

In this essay , i will be talking and analysing my A2 Horror summer trailer. I shall be looking at the typical conventions that my summer trailer consisted of. Genre means recognizable conventions which the audience can see and distinguish. Genre is important because it helps the audience distinguishes conventions and codes in films which differ from different films and make it stands out from other genres.

Chandler said genre is a type, which means that there are similar and recognisable characteristics. In my summer horror trailer, to make the genre recongnisable to the audience that is was a slasher movie, i used typical conventions that would found inside slasher films, for example I made sure that my antagonist would always pop put of nowhere in the trailer shots, especially behind the protagonist. Another convention that i used inside my trailer was using teenage girls as my protagonists. These typical conventions make the genre recognisable as 




Mittell said that genre allows audience to make and change choices. With my summer horror trailer's sub-genre being fairly recognisable, due to the use of jump cuts and fast cuts, which were used to create suspense in the horror trailer along with dramatic sound effects. Also the fact that certain locations were used, such as the underground car park and a wide green field, which indicated to the audience who has had previous experience with slasher films, would notice these conventions. My summer horror trailer did not meet all the expectations that you would expect to see inside a genuine slasher films such as the fact that we decided to record during the day inside of the night, did not meet the expectation that the horror trailer should be dark for majority of the time. Another way in which my horror trailer did not meet standard slasher expectations is that i used a teenager who was female who was just wearing a hoodie for my antagonist, which did not make my trailer suspenseful or touch on the audience's visceral pleasure as it was obvious that it was a teenager acting and it did not look like a horror trailer.

Altman said genre has a set of pleasures for the audience, he stated that there was three components within genre that appeals to the audience, this is Visceral pleasure, emotional pleasure and Intellectual puzzles. Even though my summer trailer  had very basic editing skills, which included some fast cuts and jump cuts, my editing skills did no challenge Altman's three audience components. My horror summer trailer did not challenge visceral pleasure, meaning that i didn't have enough effective editing or acting in the trailer to create visceral pleasures withing this audience. Visceral pleasure is important, especially in horror trailers as it is the inside feeling that the trailer creates while watching, this tends to be feeling groused out or getting chills down their back. A way i could improve my summer horror trailer to create visceral pleasure would be to use more effective editing skills but also make sure that the acting and content within the trailer is also effective.

Comments